Monday, August 29, 2011

My Domestic Adventures: #1 Homemade Tomato Soup

If you know anything about me, then you know that I am not a domestic diva.  In fact, many people are surprised that I am a stay-at-home mommy.  Therefore, trying to make and can tomato soup was a little out of my comfort zone...but turned out great. This is how we did it:

Step 1:  Blend, Cook & Strain the following:
  • 2 Gallons of cut-up tomatoes (we used roma tomatoes from my parents' garden)
  • 2-3 green peppers cut up (depends on how much you like the green pepper taste)
  • 2 onions cut up 
  •  
    Step 2:  Mix together the following:
    • 1 tsp. chili powder
    • 1 tsp. black pepper
    • 1 1/2 cups of sugar 
    • 1/3 cup of salt 
    • 1 cup of melted butter
    Then, mix this together with the tomato mixture from step 1 and let cook while you do step #3.

    Step 3 (thickening):  Blend together 2 cups of flour with 1 pint to1 quart of COOL tomato juice.  Start with a little and use enough to blend until smooth.  Absolutely no lumps of flour in the mixture.

    Step 4:  Mix thickening with tomato mixture and cook till thick.  If for some reason it is still lumpy, blend it again.

    Step 5:  Process for 25 minutes in boiling water in pint jars.  This should make 13-15 pints.

    When ready to eat, mix one pint of tomato soup with one pint of milk and Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)