Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Try Somethin' New Tuesday

One of my goals as a "homemaker"  is to improve my cooking.  Cooking does not come naturally to me.   I can't just whip something together like most people.  I MUST follow a recipe.  Therefore, I am constantly looking for new recipes to try.  Last night, we tried out a new recipe from the TASTE OF HOME magazine.  We decided it was a keeper, so I will share.  

MEXICAN SKILLET RICE 

This is what you will need:
 (chicken not pictured)

  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 pound chicken tenderloins, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon Crisco® Olive Oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups cooked jasmine or long grain rice
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
  • 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
  • 1 jar (8 ounces) taco sauce
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

This is what you do:

  • In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir egg over medium-high heat until set. Remove and set aside.
  • In the same skillet, stir-fry chicken and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, beans, Mexicorn, peppers, taco sauce and green onions; heat through. Stir in reserved egg. Sprinkle rice with cilantro. 
This is what you get: 

 
Here is what we thought:
Hubby thought it was tasty.  He ate it with tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa.  Big Brother didn't like the black beans and picked around at it.  Little Brother devoured it.  I liked it because it wasn't spicy and wouldn't bother baby sister (I am breastfeeding).  Overall, I will add that to my list of keepers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brighten my day....leave me a comment! :-)